A little of history
Since 1446, Etienne Parahy is known as the first owner of the vineyards.
This field, with the wire of alliances, will be increased or shared during those last six centuries, but it is especially with the arrival of the railroad that, during the 19th century, the culture of the vine will develop in an important way.
In 1878, the vineyard will be completely destroyed by “phylloxera”, in spite of the treatments. Therefore it will be necessary to sacrifice a property of more than 100 hectares to replant with courage and determination the 140 remaining hectares.
The quality of work and eagerness will be worth with the back grandfather of Georges Puig to obtain several medals for its wines in 1893 and 1896 in Rouen and Paris.
In 1993, the current owner, Georges Puig , the son, inherits the winery, of the vines of Fort Saint Pierre and Sant Lluc, as well as the farmhouse of Myseris.
The land influence is assembled to more than 140 hectares
For 7 centuries, the generations have followed one another on this Catalan ground of Aspres between the Canigou mount and the Mediterranean, being transmitted the same ground and the same tradition. If the grounds of Saint-Pierre are argilo-limestones, those of Sant Lluc are stonier whereas the grounds of Miserys are on a schist solid mass, planted of Grenache.
The outputs which were on average 40 hl per hectare drop because of age of the vines of which some still go up with replantings of 1878.
Therefore for a few years, the Puig-Parahÿ Vineyard has reinvested in its vines by replanting other types of vines such as Syrah. The diversity of the exposures of the pieces as well as the multiplicity of the different grounds makes it possible for this field to exploit a great number of other type of vines such as: Carignan, black, gray, and white Grenache, Muscatel of Alexandria, Macabeu, Mourvèdre and Muscatel with small grains.
This type of vine diversity constitutes the true inheritance of this field and is the pledge of the great quality of its products.